Already a professionally qualified technician?

An engineer directs his colleague on the way forward

If you're already a technician member of ICE, then you'll know about the advantages of becoming professionally qualified. But there's much more you can do to develop as a civil engineer and move your career forward.

Becoming a technician member is an important step, but it doesn't have to be the end of your professional development. You might already have enough experience to take your career to the next level.

I'd like to move up to the next grade, how can you help me?

The natural progression for an engineering technician is to become a member of ICE, and to qualify as an incorporated (IEng) or chartered engineer (CEng).

As you're likely to have lots of work-based experience, a lot depends on your educational qualifications. Generally, you'll need to consider taking higher qualifications, such as a degree course that's been approved by ICE and meets the requirements for either IEng or CEng level.

You can find all the details you need about academic qualifications on our educational base page. This page will also tell you how to find out which courses have been approved and why that's important.

I'm not interested in doing a degree, can I still qualify?

Yes. We know that formal academic courses aren't right for everyone, and that not everyone is able to combine work and study. That's why we've developed another option, called the Technical Report Route. This lets you use your work-based experience to show you have the same engineering skills and knowledge as someone who has done an approved degree.

The main advantage of the Technical Report Route is that you can concentrate on getting experience and developing your skills at work. If you choose this option, you'll also get support and guidance from a mentor.

What are my options after qualifying as a member (MICE)?

Even after you've qualified as an incorporated or chartered engineer, there are lots of ways for you to develop your engineering skills and progress professionally.

If you've got the right experience and you're working at the top of your profession, you might be able to apply to become a fellow (FICE). Fellowship is the highest grade of membership we offer. ICE fellows are successful and well-respected civil engineering professionals. They have in-depth technical expertise in their own engineering roles and have often helped move the profession forward.

You could go straight from technician member to fellow, if you work in a senior position and your role involves enough responsibility.

If you've got enough experience, you could also think about mentoring other engineers. This could help to develop their careers and your skills. It will also look impressive on your CV, and you might even want to become a reviewer yourself.

How do I find out more?

Visit the 'My Membership' section of MyICE. It will give you all the options available, whether you're looking to get an academic qualification or step up to the next grade of membership.

Latest opportunities from ICE Recruit

Looking for help and advice on advancing your career?

Our professional qualification training is here to help you, from advice surgeries to courses in passing your professional review.