How will Robotics and Digitalization shape the future of our tunnel industry?
On three recent tunnel projects in Hong Kong, Bouygues Construction has developed and implemented innovative methodologies and tools to overcome major challenges that always come with mega-scale projects.
- A new approach for the maintenance of the TBM cutterhead
- The use of a mechanized solution for the realization of cross passages
- Operation of extra-large TBMs on the Tuen Mun chek Lap Kok (17.56m, 14m) and Liantang projects (14m), with robotic tools developed for specific tasks
- Variable density TBMs to successfully handle challenging ground conditions with shallow cover on MTR Shatin Central new metro line (SCL1128 project)
- Use of ‘big data’ and specialized algorithms to back-analyse and predict the TBM behaviour
The key driver behind these innovations is first and foremost safety and risk mitigation, but it turns out that these novelties actually brought significant improvements in operational performance as a side effect. A new era of innovation for our tunnelling industry is being explored - what will come next?
For more information please contact: