If you don't have the qualifications to automatically apply for a particular grade of ICE membership or Engineering Council registration, you'll need an Academic Assessment.
This might be because:
- We haven't assessed your qualification to see if it meets the standards of a particular membership grade
- You have several qualifications, but none are quite right for the grade of membership you want to apply for
The Academic Assessment will decide if your qualification (or qualifications together) give you the knowledge and skills needed for the membership grade you want to achieve.
If your qualifications don't meet those requirements, we'll give you advice on what you can do next.
How does it work?
So that we can determine what level of membership or Engineering Council registration you are eligible for, you will need to make an online application, and provide supporting documentation listed below under 'Making an application'.
Our Academic Qualifications Panel (AQP) will consider your qualifications against Engineering Council requirements and tell you which grade you can apply for. The AQP will carry out a desk-top review of your qualifications and you do not have to attend any exam or interview. If you provide the UK NARIC comparability statement, please note that this is not sufficient on its own for your Academic Assessment application - you will still need to provide the documents listed in the table below in Making an Application.
Do I need an Academic Assessment?
You need to apply for an Academic Assessment if you have:
- A non-accredited undergraduate degree or diploma – and you aren't eligible for membership (MICE or graduate membership
- A non-accredited undergraduate degree – and you're eligible for MICE, but also want to register with the Engineering Council when you have passed a Professional Review
- An incorporated engineer (IEng) accredited undergraduate degree and an accredited or non-accredited postgraduate degree – and you want to register with the Engineering Council as a chartered engineer (CEng) once you have passed a Professional Review
- A non-accredited undergraduate degree and an accredited postgraduate degree
Find out if your undergraduate qualification is accredited
Making an application
In order to make an application, you'll need to provide some information about your qualification. The table below provides details on what you'll need to provide depending on your qualification.
You'll also need to upload a detailed CV as a separate document.
- If any of the documents above are not in English, you also need to send us a certified English translation.
- You can only upload one Word or PDF file at a time for each of your qualifications. Please also remember to check the list above so you include all the other information
How do I certify my documents?
To certify a photocopy of your certificate, your university lecturer, senior member of your employing company, a solicitor or a corporate ICE member needs to write the following (in blue or black pen directly onto the proof of academic qualification):
To certify an English translation, an official translator, your university lecturer, senior member of your employing company or a corporate ICE member must write the following in blue or black pen directly onto the English translation:
Can I submit a proposed or incomplete qualification?
If you're currently studying, or plan to start a course, you can include it in your application. You can send us up to three proposed programmes.
You must include the following in your application:
- A copy of your enrolment letter or offer letter (if applicable)
- A list of modules completed or to be completed for each year
- Start and end date of your course
Application closing dates
Please make sure you send your application, supporting information and payment by the relevant closing date.
How much does it cost to apply for an Academic Assessment?
- Non-members and student members – £113
- Members – £46.50
Start your application
You can start your application via our online tool whenever you're ready.
Begin AQP application
What happens next?
We'll send you an email which tells you which level of ICE membership and Engineering Council registration you can apply for. The panel may decide that your academic qualifications don't meet the requirements of the registration level you applied for. If so, don't worry. We'll be at hand to give you advice on what to do next.
You'll also be made a graduate member (if you're not one already) and you'll be asked to pay the rest of the graduate member fee.