The new Chair of ICE North West has announced plans to establish a Fellows' network, to widen member engagement and tap into the skills and expertise of the region's most experienced members.
Incoming Chair Jason Hyde, a chartered civil engineer at Mott MacDonald, shared his plans at the ICE North West AGM on 1 July. His year in the post will also see him focus on what the future holds for the engineering profession.
In addition, ICE Director General and Secretary, Nick Baveystock, shared his views on the key challenges facing ICE and the wider industry.
Drawing attention to global societal changes such as population growth, he said: “The nature of engineering is changing rapidly. We need a debate about what it means to be a civil engineer now, to enable us to engineer a better world for all in the future.”
To achieve this, he said, meant working in partnership was crucial. He highlighted ICE’s work on Project 13 as well as the work ICE has been doing to help civil engineers deliver the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs), in particular, UNSDG 6 - Clean water and sanitation.
His comments follow a recent film in which he set out his thoughts on the infrastructure landscape.
Outgoing North West Chair, Tom Glovehew, Senior Engineer at Tony Gee, praised the success of the region’s engagement programme, citing the region’s successes in the ICE 200 campaign as clear evidence of the public’s appetite to learn more.
He highlighted the particular achievements of the North West Graduates and Students Committee, as well as his own personal challenge to start modernising activity in the North West region, ensuring the Institution stays relevant and representative of the region where members live and work.
Elections took place for relevant regional posts and Chairs of Branch and Special Interest Groups were confirmed for 2019/20, as follows:
- North West Chair: Jason Hyde
- Senior Vice Chair: James Slater
- Junior Vice Chair: Chris Hudson
- Cheshire Branch: Jon Hughes
- Cumbria Branch: Mike Davies
- Lancashire and Isle of Man Branch: Kenton Chong
- Manchester Branch: Lauren Gracey
- Merseyside Branch: Alan Williams
- Graduates & Students: Kit Wolverson
- Equality, Inclusion and Diversity: Abigail Kiernan
- Historical Engineering Group: James Parry
- North West Geotechnical Group: Edouardos Karavakis
- Transport Engineering Group: David Boyer
Slides presented at the AGM are available to view.