Insights into the key challenges facing civil engineering post Covid-19, together with regional highlights and thoughts from the newly elected Chair, were tabled at the ICE North West online AGM on 6 July.
Incoming North West Chair, Chris Hudson, committed to a ‘new normal’ post pandemic strategy including:
- A pledge to raise the bar in terms of diversity and inclusion.
- The continuance of virtual CPD delivery.
- A focus on engagement through STEM and other activities, encouraging members and the public to explore engineering more fully.
Speaking at the event, Chris Hudson, Chair, ICE North West said: “I am proud to be associated with an Institution that is focused on change.
“Furthermore, I am proud to call myself a civil engineer, a problem solver with the ethic to improve people’s lives. As part of my role, I want to raise the bar in respect to equality, diversity and inclusion and am keen to drive change forward.”
"Discussion also centred on the need to continue providing digital knowledge content and career support to engineers across the North West region."
Jason Hyde, outgoing ICE North West Chair, praised the success of the region’s shift to online engagement, citing successes in swiftly moving to an online digital model including awards, lectures and other visits that would have traditionally been held in a face-to-face environment.
Nick Baveystock, ICE Director General, joined the meeting to discuss Covid-19 implications, with time for questions from the attendees.
Relevant regional posts and chairs of branch and special interest groups were confirmed for 2020/21, as follows:
- North West Chair: Chris Hudson
- Senior Vice Chair: (Yuli) Chaido Doulala-Rigby
- Junior Vice Chair: Nushma Juwaheer
- Cheshire Branch – Francis Kwateng
- Cumbria Branch – Jonathan Clarke
- Lancashire and Isle of Man Branch – Michelle Davies
- Manchester Branch – Lewis Brimmell
- Merseyside Branch – Chris Griffiths
- Graduates and Students – Gemma James
- Fairness, Inclusion and Respect Group (formerly Equality, Inclusion and Diversity Group) – Alison Waterworth
- Historical Engineering Group – Jim Parry
- Geotechnical Group – Edouardos Karavakis
- Transportation Engineering Group – David Boyer
Emma Antrobus, Director, ICE North West said: “These appointments put us in a very strong position to continue delivering excellent support to our regional members at all stages throughout their civil engineering career.
“Together with the work that the Institution does at a national level, on issues such as industry resilience, levelling up, and Net-Zero targets, our members’ interests remain at the forefront of all that we do.”