A shortlist of 12 projects has been announced for the ICE Yorkshire and Humber Awards in March.
Seven projects from the region have been shortlisted for the Centenary Award, and five for the Smeaton Award. A third category winner, for the Sir John Fowler Award, for projects centered around studies and research, will also be revealed on the night.
The annual awards recognise achievement, excellence or innovation in civil engineering projects that have been completed, or substantially completed, in the past two years.
Factors considered in compiling a shortlist include value and impact on society, sustainability, health and safety, quality of design, best practice, difficulty and response, and collaboration.
The Centenary Award is for projects worth £5m and over, while the Smeaton Award is for projects less than £5m.
Centenary Award shortlist
Projects up for the Centenary Award this year are:
- Boeing Sheffield – Mott MacDonald, F Finnegan LTD
- MRIHCT (children’s hybrid cardiac theatre and intra-operative MRI), Leeds – Mott MacDonald, BAM, NHS
- Bolton Upon Dearne Wastewater Treatment Works, near Rotherham – Galliford Try, Yorkshire Water, GHD
- Bridlington Integrated Transport Plan Phase 2 – East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Amey, PBS Construction Ltd, Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP)
- Hornsea Onshore Substation, Immingham – Orsted, NORR (via WSP), Balfour Beatty
- Brough Relief Road Phase 2 – East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Pell Frischmann, CR Reynolds
- Atlee Drive, Goole Sewer Flooding Alleviation – Yorkshire Water, Mott MacDonald, The Joseph Gallagher Group, Peter Duffy Ltd, JN Bentley
Smeaton Award shortlist
The shortlist for the Smeaton Award comprises:
- Standedge Tunnel End Aqueduct Reconstruction, Huddersfield – Network Rail, TSP Projects, AmcoGiffen
- Market Street, Mexborough, Doncaster – Yorkshire Water, GHD, Barhale
- Knostrop Footbridge, Leeds – Leeds City Council, Mott MacDonald, Knight Architects, BAM Nuttall, S H Structures Ltd
- Wakefield Kirkgate Highways Flood Storage System, Wakefield – Wakefield Metropolitan District Council, West Yorkshire Combined Authority, Hinko Construction
- Runswick Bay Coastal Protection Scheme – Scarborough Borough Council, JBA Consulting, Esh Construction Ltd, Royal HaskoningDHV, Environment Agency, Runswick Bay Coastal Protection Trust, Yorkshire Water.
Book your place now
In 2018, the Centenary Award was won by the Skipton flood alleviation scheme, the Smeaton Award was won by the Tadcaster Bridge emergency works, and the Sir John Fowler Award went to the River Hull Navigation Authority project.
Entertainment, food and drinks will all be on the agenda at the black-tie event, at Sheffield City Hall on 15 March 2019, sponsored by GHD.
Book your table at the ICE Yorkshire and Humber Annual Gala Dinner and Awards 2019 here now.