The UK needs additional rail capacity for passengers and freight along key corridors to meet future demand growth, help rebalance its economy and deliver net-zero.
HS2 is a key part of the government’s transport strategy to achieve these objectives.
This insight paper covers:
- The status of HS2,
- The proposed benefits of HS2,
- Evidence from other high-speed rail schemes,
- Whether the UK still needs HS2,
- Concerns about the costs, impact and effectiveness of HS2, and
- Alternative approaches to HS2 and increasing rail capacity.
This paper is an update to an insight paper first published in September 2019. It has been informed by available published evidence and insight from ICE fellows.
Civil engineering insights on HS2 and alternative proposals
Content type: Policy
Last updated: February 2022