Ahead of the second road investment period commencing, this paper serves as a high-level overview of RIS 1 and the key lessons which can be learnt from its delivery. It examines the performance of the programme and assesses how new approaches; delivery models and technology have been deployed. It concludes with discussion on lessons learnt for future road investment periods.
The Paper provides:
- An overview of the purpose of the Strategic Road Network
- Discussion on public attitudes towards the Strategic Road Network
- Exploration of the effectiveness of the planning and delivery of RIS 1 and insights into shortcomings
- A summary of the new approaches, delivery models and technology Highways England has deployed during RIS 1
- Key takeaways for future road investment periods
The paper was informed by ICE Fellows, other experts in the field and followed a roundtable discussion of key stakeholders held at the ICE towards the end of 2019.
Civil engineering insights on the UK’s first Road Investment Strategy
Content type: Policy