This insights paper explores what climate mitigation actions England’s metro mayors and combined authorities could take to contribute to achieving the national net-zero target, particularly by driving change through infrastructure.
The paper covers:
- Why enabling subnational climate action is essential for achieving net-zero.
- Current barriers to effective subnational climate action in England.
- Examples of internationally recognised frameworks and case studies
- Principles for delivering effective subnational climate action in England.
- Lessons for priority sectors for climate action in England, including transportation and spatial planning.
This paper was informed by available published evidence, ICE fellows and consultation with experts.
Download this report