Skip to content
ICE Canada

Working in Canada

If you're thinking about working in Canada, or need more information about the requirements for working there, we've put together a brief guide to help you.

Explore the sections below to learn more about opportunities available to you in Canada.

In Canada, only a Professional Engineer (PEng) is licensed to practise engineering and to take responsibility for their work and that of others. This includes signing and sealing design documents. Unlicensed engineers have to be supervised by a Professional Engineer.

PEng status is similar to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status in the UK and is awarded by the relevant provincial or territorial professional engineering association (see below).

Before becoming a PEng, you may need one full year of experience in Canada, supervised by a licensed engineer. While you're working towards becoming a PEng, you may be able to register as a 'member-in-training', a 'temporary PEng', or 'non-resident licensee PEng'.

Generally, to become a PEng you must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. If you intend to work in Quebec, you should be able to write and speak in near fluent technical French.

Before you can work in Canada you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or hold a temporary work visa. Find out how you can get a visa:

Please visit the Engineers Canada website for more detailed information about moving to Canada, the engineering profession and registration requirements:

The national engineering organisation is Engineers Canada, buteach province or territory has its own professional engineering association, which is the regulatory body that awards the PEng license.

The Canadian Society for Civil Engineering is a learned society created to develop and maintain high standards of civil engineering practice in Canada and to enhance the public image of the civil engineering profession. Membership is obtained separately from the PEng license.

Unfortunately, Engineers Canada and the Engineering Council don't recognise each other's professional qualifications for registration purposes. This means that even if you are CEng MICE, you'll also have to qualify directly in Canada to get the PEng license.

However, both bodies have signed the Washington Accord which concerns the recognition of engineering degrees, so if you hold a degree accredited by the Engineering Council for CEng registration, you should expect to be exempt from the academic assessment for PEng registration, but you will need to complete all other criteria, including the Professional Practise examination.

If you encounter any difficulties with the registration process or are required to undertake an academic assessment, please contact us at [email protected]

Please visit the ICE Canada contact webpage for contact details of our representatives. They are volunteer qualified members and are not immigration or employment agents.